So, I get on the tram this morning at 7:30 am. I don’t have any change and the local post office, my nearest ticket outlet, doesn’t open until 8. I don’t have enough change, because you need nearly $6 for a daily and I rarely have that much change on me. I used to carry 10 x 2hr tickets with me but as I ride my bike these days I’ve stopped doing that as I won’t use the ticket up for 6 months by which point it has fallen apart.
Anxious about getting a fine, I keep an eye on who is getting on the tram. But sure enough, as I get into the city the person sitting next to me turns out to be an undercover ticket inspector. Son of a bitch.
Here are some reasons why this is shit:
- 1. 9 times out of 10 I buy a ticket
- 2. It was physically impossible for me to buy a ticket as I had no change and the place I can buy a ticket from was closed.
- 3. When I told the ticket inspector this she told me I should have had the foresight to ensure I had enough change on me.
- 4. Isn’t is supposed to be convenient so people use it? ie you shouldn’t need that level of foresight to get on the tram.
- 5. a Ticket is nearly $6 it is unrealistic to be expected to have this much change on you
- 6. the ticket is WAY too expensive
- 7. the fines are disproportionate. Fines for speeding are about the same amount but I’m not putting anyone’s life in danger by not buying a fucking tram ticket.
- 8. fuck you
I asked the ticket inspector why she would do a job like this and how she slept at night. Apparently she sleeps quite well, but she does ride for free as a ticket inspector so there you go. Although apparently, in her last job, she always ensured she bough a ticket. What an angel, no wonder she sleeps so well.
Anyway. Tram ticket inspectors of Melbourne, you are: Jerk of the Week.